Comprehensive Home Care Agency
vetrans benifits for in home care

Veterans Information

Personal Home Care works with the Portland VA Medical Center to provide in-home care services to those veterans who live in the Salem area and whom qualify for this program.

(click below for the answers to the most frequently asked questions)
Benefits and Qualifications
Application Process
Helpful Contacts
Who Qualifies?

Veterans who served in the following wars (includes spouse/surviving spouse). Veteran must have served 90 consecutive days, with at least 1 of those days during “wartime”, even if they were not in a combat zone.

  • World War II
  • Korean Conflict
  • Vietnam Era
  • Persian Gulf War
What are the Financial Qualifications?

Less than $80,000 in assets (excluding home and vehicles)

How much care does the Aid & Attendance program pay for?
  • Up to $1,519 per month for a Veteran
  • Up to $976 per month for a Spouse
  • Up to $1,801 per month for a Couple
How do you start an Aid & Attendance Claim?
You must file the government claim forms and have medical doctor approval.
What forms are required to apply for benefits?
Two government forms are required along with doctor’s statement.
  • Medical Doctor’s Statement for Aid & Attendance (VA#1)
  • VA Form 21-526 for Veterans (VA#2) or
  • VA Form 21-534 for Spouses (VA#3)
  • What paperwork must be included with the forms?
    In order to expedite approval, you will want to include all the requested documents. While reimbursement for care services performed prior to approval is possible, you should not count on it. The following is a checklist of the forms that must accompany your claim
  • How can you obtain services fast?

    The quickest way to have services begin is upon discharge from a Veteran’s hospital. The Social Worker at the hospital will obtain authorization from the Veteran’s physician and income and asset verification from the Veteran and create a Care Plan for aid services to begin upon hospital discharge. Otherwise, the best way for a clear path to approval is to obtain authorization from your doctor at a Veteran’s clinic. Separately, any doctor can provide the medical authorization needed for filing the forms.

    For more free assistance with application process?

    Whether you served your country more than 50 years ago or have just returned home, ODVA and Veterans Service Officers (VSOs) are here to help you.

    When working with a VSO, you will work with an accredited and certified professional who is an expert in veteran law. There are VSOs in every county across Oregon, in many national service organizations and at the Salem and Portland offices of the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

    If you have any questions or would like ODVA to assist you in finding your nearest VSO, please call 1-800-692-9666 (toll-free in Oregon) or 503-373-2085. Or visit Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs web site.

    List of helpful contacts

    Portland Claims and Counseling
    100 SW Main St. Suite 200
    Portland, OR 97204
    Fax: 503-412-4785 or 

    Ed Van Dyke, Manager
    Deanna Erhardt, Jodi Hocking, Donna Hunt, Ron Kincaid, or Linda McMillan

    Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.

    Salem Claims and Counseling
    700 Summer St NE
    Salem, OR 97301-1285  

    Mitch Sparks, Manager
    Gus Bedwell, Jessica Garcelon, Leah Rickert, Gina Thomas, Jerry Wilson or Doug Yerke
    Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.